Dyer Land Title was founded in 1961 by Charles T. Dennis, Sr., Latta Richards, R.A. Ashley, Jr., and Barrett Ashley. Operations began with personnel tirelessly microfilming records from the local registrar’s office. In 1968, Milton Rice joined Dyer Land Title, which was located on the third floor of the old Baird-Brewer Hospital Building. Upon the death of Mr. Charles T. Dennis, Mr. Rice became a shareholder and assumed the role of operating and managing Dyer Land Title for the next 50 years.
Mr. Rice is a World War II veteran who served in the U.S. Army from September 1943 until March 1946 in France and Germany. Upon completion of his service, Mr. Rice returned home and attended Duke University, graduating with a degree in math and physics in 1950, and later attended agricultural school at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. He started farming shortly thereafter, and managed the Earnest Rice, Jr. Farms until 1968 when he joined Dyer Land Title. Now 93 years of age, Mr. Rice has assumed the role of President Emeritus of Dyer Land Title, and still comes to work several times a week to make sure things are running smoothly.